From: <>
Subject: Re: [Irish in Chicago] Ireland to Chicago?
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 01:40:16 GMT

Cece,

Good question! I have Michael and Mary McDermott. Very common Irish names, along with Thomas and Alice Kerr, John J. O'Toole, my McEvoy (McAvoy) line. Then, there is the Hennessey/Morrissey/Ledwell/Kearney line which came from Newfoundland.

I have yet to find my relatives on any ship's manifest. There are many Michael and Mary McDermotts, but not together. The same goes for the rest of my relatives.

I have wondered also how they arrived in Chicago. Not only how they arrived, but why did they choose Chicago over Dubuque, St. Louis, or Philadelphia or any other city? Did they have relations in Chicago? Who were those relations?

Of course, these are the questions we all ask, but it doesn't hurt to verbalize them. Again, a good question, Cece.

Bill Karr in Peoria, IL., USA