Subject: Irish Canal Workers: Book Recommendation
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 09:42:44 -0400

I have a great-grandfather, Thomas N. Riley, who was born in Connecticut
@1830. It has perplexed me - always. What on earth was an Irishman doing
in Connecticut in 1930? His father, Michael R. Riley, was born in
Ireland. Well, on the Limerick list I found the clue.

If you find you have an Irish ancestor who was born in Connecticut
1825-1845 era, his father may well have been one of hundreds of Irish
brought over to work after the canal fever hit in the USA and Canada.
Apparently, at one time, the Irish were brought in by the boat load
directly to New Haven, CT.

It is a study of economic history, labor relations, the beginning of a
wage-based economy. A clear picture of the struggle our Irish ancestors
had adapting to a changing world that surrounded them.

Title: Common Labor, Workers and the Digging of North American Canals,
1780-1860
Author: Peter Way
ISBN: 0-8018-5522-5
The John Hopkins University Press 1993