From: Brian Columbus <>
Subject: McHugh from Leitrim and Cavan to Chicago
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 10:32:26 -0600

Having two Irish families meet and merge in Chicago, I thought it might
be useful to throw out my Chicago Irish roots to this list and see if
anyone recognizes anything. My great-grandparents were both McHughs.

Felix McHugh (1873 or 1877-1962) was born in or near Ballinaglera, Co.
Leitrim, Ireland to Patrick McHugh and Mary Kenny. He immigrated to
Chicago in March 1898. I don't know anything about his siblings, though
I understand he had several brothers; and I know nothing more about his
parents. I know he traveled to the US with two cousins, John and
Michael Kenny, of Manorhamilton. In 1905 Felix McHugh married Annie
McHugh.

Annie McHugh (1877-1913) was born in (likely) Co. Cavan, perhaps Dowra,
to Michael McHugh and Bridget (Bessie) Flynn. She immigrated in 1896,
and worked as a servant in her oldest (?) brother's home. Annie had a
sister Catherine (who married Patrick Kearns), and brothers Thomas (who
married Annie O'Dolan), Hugh, Peter, Frank and James. She also had
2-half brothers from her father's first marriage to Mary (or Bridget?)
McGuire; they were Patrick and John. All these siblings immigrated to
Chicago except for James. Patrick was a successful owner of a saloon
located at 1549 Indiana Av; he was married to Winnie McGourty, with
whom he had several children. This is the home that Annie first came to
and worked as a live-in servant. John (married to Bina Foley) was a
Chicago Fireman, before working for the post-office later. Various
records for some of the siblings indicate Co. Cavan, others indicate
Co. Leitrim and others indicate Dowra, which sits on the edge of both
counties; in fact some things I've read indicate that part of the town
is actually in Leitrim, though it's listed as part of Cavan.

Family oral history has always been that Annie and Felix were NOT
related, and that she came from a different county. Also, she came from
a much wealthier (or relatively well-off, I imagine) family than he
did, and because his family were farmers (or simply poorer) her family
thought she was marrying "trash", so to speak. What I'd like to know is
where were these people from, and learn more of both lineages.

Sorry for the long post. Please let me know if anyone sees any kind of
connection at all.

Brian Columbus

This thread: