Subject: Re: IRISH-IN-CHICAGO-D Digest V05 #61
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 18:35:34 EST

Thanks to all the people who responded to my query about the Irish at Home
and Abroad website that had obituary information.
One person gave me the ancestry link, so that is a great help!
Two people asked about my Maloney surnames, so I thought I would lay it out
here for those who might be interested:
Most of this research was the work of Dick Shea of Houston:
Ellen Herbert married Jeremiah Maloney in Ireland and had two children
baptized there:
Mary Moloney, dau Jeremiah Moloney and Ellen Herbert of Ballard, baptized
July 11, 1851 in Tralee, sponsors Bernard Egar and Catherine Moloney
John Moloney, son Jeremiah Moloney and Ellen Herbert of Ballard, baptized
July 2 1853, in Tralee, sponsors Patrick Houran and Mary Tuohy
There was mention on passenger lists that a Patrick and Martin Moloney and
Peter Herbert were on the same ship. Patrick and Martin may be siblings of
Jeremiah or may be cousins. It may also be that Thomas, John, Catherine, were
cousins rather than siblings, but I'm assuming the latter three as siblings
because Dick does. Unless we get parent information on death or marriage
certificates, we won't know for sure, so I am not putting them in the computer
program.
Peter Herbert may be John's brother and that may be why John was naturalized
in Ottawa, IL. (1997)
Census Records:
1860 Chicago, Cook Co., Ill. 6th Ward pg 546
Elbra (Ellen) Maloney 36 F Widow b. Ire
Thomas " 15 M " "
Johanna " 11 F " "
Mary " 9 F " "
John " 7 M " "
John Herbert 40 M " "
1870 Chicago, Cook Co., Ill. 11th Ward pg.176 Fam # 1178
Ellen Maloney 45 F Keep House b. Ire
Thomas " 22 M Tinsmith " "
John " 17 M Brass Moulder " "
Mary " 19 F At Home " "
John Herbert 55 M None " "

Boarders: William Ryan (25), John Hurt (30), Pat Bristle (26), Mick Lucas
(20),
Maurice Joy (21), Jerome Seagly (24), Jerry Hurgan (30), John Ward (35),
Cecilia Goss (16), Eliz. O'Callaghan (45), John Smith (35)
1880 Chicago, Cook Co., Ill. Ed 120 pg 3 line 27, 568 Warren Ave.
Thomas Maloney 33 M City Police b Ire f Ire m Ire
Ellen " 28 F Wife " Ill " " " "
Ellen " 5/12 F Dau. " " " " " Ill
Ellen " 58 F Mother " Ire " " " Ire
John H. " 24 M Brother " " " " " "
Mary " 27 F Sister " " " " " "
John Herbert 65 M Cattle Dealer " " " " "
John P. Stack 18 M Telegraph Op Ill " " " "
Michael Lane 33 M Farmer " Wis " " " "
John Herbert naturalized June 11 1862 in Ottawa, LaSalle Co, Ill
Chicago Directories
1861 Ellen Moloney, widow Jeremiah, 115 N. Jefferson
1862 Ellen Moloney, widow John, 115 N. Jefferson
1865-70 Ellen Malony, wid Jeremiah, b 75 Carroll
1871 Mrs. Moloney, widow, 75 Washington Ave, 11th Ward
1872-76 Ellen Moloney, wid Jeremiah, boardinghouse, 75 Carroll & John
Herbert, lab, b 75 Carroll
1876-84 Ellen Moloney, wid Jeremiah, h 568 Warren Ave & John Herbert,
gardener, h 568 Warren Ave
Ellen Herbert & Jeremiah Maloney's children:
Mary Maloney married Michael Trilly Lane, a boarder in her family home,
childless, died
Thomas married Ellen _______, policeman, died 1883, age 35.
Josephine married John Shea, 1866, seven children, died 1890
John married Emma Love, c 1890, electrician per death notice, seven children
with surname of Moloney, died 1923.
My husband is descended from Josephine.
Margaret McCarthy

This thread: