Subject: Fact vs. Fiction: Irish
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 12:50:31 -0500

I enjoyed the discussion on the variance in ages as reported in census,
immigration, etc. records. My husband's Ward (Limerick) family has an
old saying, "An Irishman never omits a story for lack of a few facts!"

His grandfather, Michael "Mick" Ward, always said he was born in
Ireland. He was not, his father was. Years ago, Mick was travelling with
his son's family to Canada, and the son said to Mick, "Now when we get
to the Canadian border, don't tell them you were born in Ireland." Well,
after so many years of telling the same lie when asked where was he
born, he boasted to the border guards, "Ireland". It took quite a bit
of explaining on the part of the son to get the whole family through
customs.

Kelly Ward

This thread: