From: James Byrnes <>
Subject: Chicago Cemeteries.
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 12:38:02 -0800 (PST)

There are about twenty messages telling how bad we Irish were treated in Chicago burials.

I would refer you to "Chicago and Cook County, A Guide to Research" by Loretto Dennis Szucs where she states:

"EARLY CEMETERIES

Of the original dozen cemeteries within the city limits of Chicago, not a single one remained by the late 1870's. All were closed for health reasons, and the bodies moved to cemeteries outside the city. It was not until the annexation of 1889 that any cemetery land was again within the city limits. John Kinzie, the first white settler of Chicago was buried four times: on his property, the City Cemetery, the Northside Cemetery (in what is now the South end of Lincoln Park) and finally, the Graceland Cemetery."

My Irish ancestors are buried in Calvary Cemetery (Evanston), Mount Carmel (Hillside), Forest Home (Forest Park) and Ridgewood (Des Plaines).

It seems to me that the Irish were not "singled-out" as many E-mail imply. Shame on you! We not "mis-treated" any more than everyone else.

Jim Byrnes
Green Bay, WI

This thread: