IRISH-IN-CHICAGO-L Archives

Archiver > IRISH-IN-CHICAGO > 2005-03 > 1109998635

From: KPW114 <>
Subject: Re: [Irish in Chicago] Re: Why Chicago?
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 22:57:15 -0600
References: <5.1.0.14.0.20050304164100.009ec670@192.168.3.240> <5.1.0.14.0.20050302180021.009ecec0@192.168.3.240> <5.1.0.14.0.20050304164100.009ec670@192.168.3.240> <5.1.0.14.0.20050304184650.009fa430@192.168.3.240>
In-Reply-To: <5.1.0.14.0.20050304184650.009fa430@192.168.3.240>

St. Boniface Cemetery (1862 or 1864 when it open) is really a German
Cemetery on North Ave. and Clark street if I remember correctly, most
were from the parish of St. Michael's on Cleveland Ave. This cemetery
came into used after the Catholic Cemetery in Lincoln Park was dug up,
those wishing to have the relatives remove could do so, many going to
St. Boniface Cemetery or Calvary or and what happen to those who
remained who knows.

I think I was so shock to hear that the Irish could not be buried inside
the city limits put me in a state of shock! I do have a relative buried
at St. Boniface Cemetery(Irish and they were born in Ireland) but I
check the dates and they were buried there in 1975, a big difference in
thought process by than.

Sad to say the rest are buried in Calvary and St. Mary's, All Saints
Cemetery, St. Joseph's and Holy Sepulchre.

Sorry I just never new that was the way it was and I never heard about
that either, I sure would love to know who put that rule of life into
affect?? Love to know more about this.

This is what I love about these list, what a wonderful learning tool!

Still in shock,

Kathy

Jim & Sharon Kavanagh wrote on 3/4/2005, 8:58 PM:

> Kathy and all the List:
> According to information I received last Sept. via Rootsweb: (I think it
> wasCook-Co-IL-L), Irish (Catholics, anyway) were not allowed to bury
> their
> dead in the City of Chicago before the late 1860's. They had to travel
> miles north or west to Evanston and Lemont.
> Calvary Cemetery in Evanston was consecrated in 1859. Our first family
> burial here was in 1867.
> Other early cemeteries just outside Chicago were St.James Cem., Sag
> Bridge,
> Lemont 1837; St.Patrick Cem.,W.Lake Forest, 1840; St.Joseph Cem,
> Willmette
> 1843; St.James Cem. Sauk Village 1847, St.Patrick Cem, Lemont 1849 and
> St.Patrick Cem, Wadsworth 60083, 1849.
> Kathy - by way of the list, please tell us more about St.Boniface
> Cemetery.
> Where is it (or where was it?) and when consecrated?
> Thanks,
> Sharon
> At 07:27 PM 3/4/2005 -0600, you wrote:
> >Since I am from Chicago I would love to know this information myself, I
> >did not know the Irish could not be buried within the city limits??
> >Now I trying figure out just where they are buried? A few are in St.
> >Boniface Cemetery I thought that was in the city?
> >I would love to learn more about all these questions,
> >Kathy
> >Jim & Sharon Kavanagh wrote on 3/4/2005, 6:47 PM:
> > > To Dan - thanks for the ideas on Ally as a nickname. Alice and
> even Ellen
> > > (as you previously mentioned) sound like possibilities that fit with
> > > naming
> > > patterns.
> > >
> > > Also, Dan I have been thinking about your posting about Irish
> emigrants
> > > clustering in certain places. So I decided to ask you, and the List:
> > >
> > > Why did Irish settle in Chicago in the 1850's? Especially, for one
> > > thing, since they could not be buried within the city limits, etc?
> > >
> > > Were there people already in Chicago who extended a helping hand -
> > > such as
> > > priests such as I have read about in other cities?
> > >
> > > Was there work readily available, etc? I know some general history
> > > and am
> > > doing research to learn more, but if anyone on the List wants to
> comment,
> > > many thanks in advance.
> > >
> > >
> > > At 04:10 PM 3/4/2005 -0800, you wrote:
> > > >The general consensus is Alice, Allison, Alicia if female, and Alan
> > > if male.
> > > >Dan Hogan
> > > >
> > > >On Wednesday, March 2, 2005, at 06:00 PM, Jim & Sharon Kavanagh
> wrote:
> > > >
> > > >>Dan - do you by chance know what name Ally might be nickname for?
> > > >>Just hoping,