From: Jim & Sharon Kavanagh <>
Subject: Re: [Irish in Chicago] Re: Why Chicago?
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 18:58:43 -0800

Kathy and all the List:

According to information I received last Sept. via Rootsweb: (I think it
wasCook-Co-IL-L), Irish (Catholics, anyway) were not allowed to bury their
dead in the City of Chicago before the late 1860's. They had to travel
miles north or west to Evanston and Lemont.

Calvary Cemetery in Evanston was consecrated in 1859. Our first family
burial here was in 1867.

Other early cemeteries just outside Chicago were St.James Cem., Sag Bridge,
Lemont 1837; St.Patrick Cem.,W.Lake Forest, 1840; St.Joseph Cem, Willmette
1843; St.James Cem. Sauk Village 1847, St.Patrick Cem, Lemont 1849 and
St.Patrick Cem, Wadsworth 60083, 1849.

Kathy - by way of the list, please tell us more about St.Boniface Cemetery.
Where is it (or where was it?) and when consecrated?

Thanks,
Sharon

At 07:27 PM 3/4/2005 -0600, you wrote:

>Since I am from Chicago I would love to know this information myself, I
>did not know the Irish could not be buried within the city limits??
>Now I trying figure out just where they are buried? A few are in St.
>Boniface Cemetery I thought that was in the city?
>

>I would love to learn more about all these questions,
>
>Kathy
>

>Jim & Sharon Kavanagh wrote on 3/4/2005, 6:47 PM:
>
> > To Dan - thanks for the ideas on Ally as a nickname. Alice and even Ellen
> > (as you previously mentioned) sound like possibilities that fit with
> > naming
> > patterns.
> >
> > Also, Dan I have been thinking about your posting about Irish emigrants
> > clustering in certain places. So I decided to ask you, and the List:
> >
> > Why did Irish settle in Chicago in the 1850's? Especially, for one
> > thing, since they could not be buried within the city limits, etc?
> >
> > Were there people already in Chicago who extended a helping hand -
> > such as
> > priests such as I have read about in other cities?
> >
> > Was there work readily available, etc? I know some general history
> > and am
> > doing research to learn more, but if anyone on the List wants to comment,
> > many thanks in advance.
> >

> > At 04:10 PM 3/4/2005 -0800, you wrote:
> > >The general consensus is Alice, Allison, Alicia if female, and Alan
> > if male.
> > >Dan Hogan

> > Search the US Census Collection. Over 140 million records added in the
> > last 12 months. Largest online collection in the world. Learn more:
> > http://www.ancestry.com/s13965/rd.ashx

This thread: