From: Jim & Sharon Kavanagh <>
Subject: Re: Why Chicago?
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 16:47:42 -0800

To Dan - thanks for the ideas on Ally as a nickname. Alice and even Ellen
(as you previously mentioned) sound like possibilities that fit with naming
patterns.

Also, Dan I have been thinking about your posting about Irish emigrants
clustering in certain places. So I decided to ask you, and the List:

Why did Irish settle in Chicago in the 1850's? Especially, for one
thing, since they could not be buried within the city limits, etc?

Were there people already in Chicago who extended a helping hand - such as
priests such as I have read about in other cities?

Was there work readily available, etc? I know some general history and am
doing research to learn more, but if anyone on the List wants to comment,
many thanks in advance.

At 04:10 PM 3/4/2005 -0800, you wrote:
>The general consensus is Alice, Allison, Alicia if female, and Alan if male.
>Dan Hogan
>
>On Wednesday, March 2, 2005, at 06:00 PM, Jim & Sharon Kavanagh wrote:
>
>>Dan - do you by chance know what name Ally might be nickname for?
>>Just hoping,
>>Sharon

This thread: