Subject: Re: [Irish in Chicago] Finding Irish Parish records in Ireland
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 01:44:32 -0500

It was explained to me in Ireland by a professional genealogy group, that the Irish (for the most part) paid no attention at all to their birth day and often did not keep track of how old they were. They were more interested in the seasons of the year, the harvest, etc. They would date themselves by weather they were born before the great wind, or after. It was only when they were forced to be exiles outside of their country, that they were asked things like how to spell their name, their age, or when they were born. Often they would round their age off. Have you ever noticed the ships lists, which have a zillion 20 or 30 year olds, and any body elderly was 70!

In addition, some of them would pick Christmas or a saints day to adopt as their day of birth.

I have the same discrepancies as you in the various documentation of my Irish ancestors. Even the grave stones are off by a number of years! The professional genealogist in Ireland said to take the earliest document (baptism hopefully) and work from that.

Just a few random thoughts.

Susan

This thread: