Subject: Re: Finding Irish Parish records in Ireland
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:31:09 EST

Dan,

I had heard the reason why the civil birth date is later than the actual
date was because I heavy fine was charged if the birth was not reported in a
timely manner. My father's correct birth date was November 18, 1902. His civil
birth date was Feb 10, 1903. I can still hear my father telling me "I always
thought I was born in November but my birth record states I was born in
February". Well, Dad, you know now you were correct. My father died in 1981.

As to death certificate info, usually only the deceased knows the correct
info. Although I remember an incident when my brother-in-law died, we (six of us
and my mother-in-law) did not notice that my mother-in-law's name was
missing from the information sheet.

Nora Hopkins FitzGerald
Searching for Fahey/Hogan/Keane/Hopkins in Chicago from Mayo

In a message dated 3/3/2005 1:38:33 PM Eastern Standard Time