Subject: Re: [Irish in Chicago] Finding Irish Parish records in Ireland
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 18:37:52 +0000

Hi Dan

You will find many different dates in Irish records. A baptismal record is more accurate than a civil in Ireland. The reason being that there was a very stiff fine imposed on these very poor people and more often than not when they were late they changed the date of birth to avoid paying what they could not. Who could blame them? Also, these were very poor people and it goes without saying that there was not much ado about birthdays and many didn't really know when they were born. Sounds strange but it's true. It was more work than play for children back then.

Nancy

This thread: