From: Dan Hogan <>
Subject: Re: [Irish in Chicago]
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 09:27:29 -0800

I did state in my post that the catholic church defends its position by
saying they do not have the time nor man-power to do the amount of
look-ups requested. The issue of whether the church has a right to
charge a fee is not in question, most all that have discussed this in
the past on several rootsweb lists agree on this, it is the fees that
anger many.
The respected heritage centers do provide information, I never said
they did not. In the archdiocese of Cashel & Emly, which is most of
Tipperary, the standard fees are 79 Euros just to do the look-up, and
then with the horrific Irish naming pattern, you really do not know if
it is the right person. Then it is another 25 Euros to make the copies
and send via snail mail. These fees do not depend on the amount of
research, they are fixed.
Dan Hogan

On Tuesday, March 1, 2005, at 06:09 PM, wrote:

> I have done a lot of research in Ireland and had no problems with the
> Catholic parishes I requested marriage and baptism records from. The
> catholic
> church is suffering from a shortage of priest and the priest they have
> in some
> cases have to cover two parishes which does not leave them a lot of
> time. I do
> not feel it is a catholic against protestant thing. As for the
> heritage
> centers I have also obtained information from them. The cost of
> course depends
> on how much research has to be done. We need to remember that these
> are not
> volunteer centers.

This thread: