Subject: Re: [Irish in Chicago]
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 02:28:16 +0000

That is quite true. I know that in Achill there are something like 6-8 churches and 2 priests. Also, the priest in Ireland have even more responsibilies than they do here in the U.S. The priest are much like our mayors in our cities. They have much to do with how the towns function. They also go out and say Mass in the homes of those who cannot get about.

Nancy

> I have done a lot of research in Ireland and had no problems with the
> Catholic parishes I requested marriage and baptism records from. The catholic
> church is suffering from a shortage of priest and the priest they have in some
> cases have to cover two parishes which does not leave them a lot of time. I do
> not feel it is a catholic against protestant thing. As for the heritage
> centers I have also obtained information from them. The cost of course depends
> on how much research has to be done. We need to remember that these are not
> volunteer centers.

> New! Family Tree Maker 2005. Build your tree and search for your ancestors at
> the same time. Share your tree with family and friends. Learn more:
> http://landing.ancestry.com/familytreemaker/2005/tour.aspx?sourceid=14599&target
> id=5429

This thread: