Subject: Naming
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:43:25 EST

My father was not named after his Da. But, he named his only son after
himself.
My older sister was named for my Da's sister. She died young from TB. I
was the second daughter and was to be named Mary Margaret after my
grandmothers. Mary was on my Da's side. I have two different papers (Baptisms). One
says I am Mary Margaret. The other says I am Margaret Mary ... after my Mom's
side. My Dad and Aunt had a fight the story goes...she won. But, my Da said
we will call her Maureen anyway. Until I made my First Communion I never
knew I was really Margaret and not Maureen.
When we moved to Phoenix the nuns wouldn't call me Maureen because they said
it wasn't a saint's name. Obviously, they weren't Irish. So, half the world
called me Maureen and the other half Margaret (Magi). The nun dropped the
Mary because there was another Margaret Mary.
What confusion! Now, I think my aunt was trying to follow the naming rules.

This thread: