Subject: Re: Old Irish naming pattern
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 15:04:04 EST

Hi Sharon,

My paternal grandfather, Michael, was born in 1857 in County Mayo. His
father (my great grandfather) was named Farrell. My grandfather's first son was
named Thomas, his second son was named John, his third son was named Farrell
and his fourth son was named Michael (my father). I think, but I'll never be
able to confirm this because of the lack of church and tithing records, that
Thomas or John was my grandfather's grandfather's name.

My grandfather's older brother was named Thomas but he died young. I think
my great grandfather had an older brother named John based on some info I
have.

In my husband's family, his gg grandfather was John who named his first son,
Maurice, his second son, Maurice, his third son, Maurice (my husband's great
grandfather). The first two sons died. In his 1926 obit, it was noted that
Maurice was named after an uncle who had been transported to Van Diem Island
(Tasmania). Maurice named his first son, William, not John. His second son
was named John. My husband thinks William was the name of his ggg
grandfather's name.

Nora Hopkins FitzGerald

Searching for Fahey/Hogan/Keane/Hopkins in Chicago

Jim & Sharon Kavanagh
(mailto:) writes:

Hello list -

Would anyone care to comment on their experience with the 'Old Irish Naming
Pattern' where the 1st son was named after the father's father, 2nd son
after the mother's father, 3rd son for the father, 4th son for father's
eldest brother and 5th son for mother's eldest brother. As to daughters,
the 1st daughter was named after the mother's mother, 2nd d. for father's
mother, 3rd d. for mother, 4th d. for mother's eldest sister, 5th d. named
after the father's eldest sister. If a child died young, then their name is
used for the next child of the same sex.

What I am curious about is have you have observed strict adherence to this
pattern especially where the first & second sons and daughters are concerned?

Also, I'd be interested to hear from those whose relatives broke with the
pattern and chose other names.

I will collect answers and attempt to report back to the list (or the list
manager) as to results.

Many thanks,
Sharon Kavanagh

This thread: