From: Jim & Sharon Kavanagh <>
Subject: Old Irish naming pattern
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:40:49 -0800

Hello list -

Would anyone care to comment on their experience with the 'Old Irish Naming
Pattern' where the 1st son was named after the father's father, 2nd son
after the mother's father, 3rd son for the father, 4th son for father's
eldest brother and 5th son for mother's eldest brother. As to daughters,
the 1st daughter was named after the mother's mother, 2nd d. for father's
mother, 3rd d. for mother, 4th d. for mother's eldest sister, 5th d. named
after the father's eldest sister. If a child died young, then their name is
used for the next child of the same sex.

What I am curious about is have you have observed strict adherence to this
pattern especially where the first & second sons and daughters are concerned?

Also, I'd be interested to hear from those whose relatives broke with the
pattern and chose other names.

I will collect answers and attempt to report back to the list (or the list
manager) as to results.

Many thanks,
Sharon Kavanagh

This thread: