Subject: [Irish in Chicago] Mount Carmel
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 13:09:36 EST

I don't remember whether it was Mount Carmel, but I believe it was, the one
that opened about 1901. On the other side of the street is Queen of Heaven,
where the office is located. Mount Carmel has some of the most beautiful
headstones you can imagine. I have family buried there from almost the opening of
the cemetery. On the north west edge of Mount Carmel is an entry way with
stone after stone that are statues, etc. They are amazing. Queen of Heaven, on
the other hand, has more stones that are flush with the ground, or not very
tall. I also have many family members in mausoleums with 4-8 family members
entombed. Mount Carmel is also where Al Capone is buried. He is buried with
bushes in front of his tombstone, so it isn't easy to know exactly where he is
buried. On the south side of the cemetery, there is an entrance about in the
middle. When you turn into the cemetery, you then turn right. His stone is not
far along there on the right. Of course, it has been 3 years since I was able
to get there, as I now live in Florida.

My suggestion is to write the cemetery. If you are in the states, you could
call them and get some assistance also. They are very, very busy!

Good Luck.
Denise

This thread: