From: Mimi Kotner <>
Subject: [Irish in Chicago] FITZGERALD inquiry
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 09:01:00 -0800 (PST)

Hello Everyone:
I am in the very early stages of my Irish
research and am currently searching each Catholic
parish in the City of Limerick(very tedious)in an
effort to find my ggggrandparents James Fitzgerald and
his wife Ellen Mahony. Their daughter Catherine
Fitzgerald was born in 1839 or 40 in Limerick (don't
know if this was Limerick City or County Limerick.)
Looking also for Catherine's brothers and sisters. My
Fitzgerald ancestors first emigrated to Chicago,
bought property in the vicinity of the Merchandise
Mart, and then went to settle permanently in St.
Louis. Did the Irish primarily settle in Chicago's
South Side? Did Irish emigrants sail directly to
Chicago or usually land in New York? Would also
appreciate any info on possible Chicago cemeteries to
search. If you see any connections here or have any
FITZGERALD tree info you could share, I would be
extremely grateful. Thanks! Mimi Kotner, San Diego,
CA.