From: Dan Hogan <>
Subject: Re: [Irish in Chicago] Irish Records - Important
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:50:39 -0800

Hi Debbie,
Not a question, but a comment. One other factor to consider is the
attitude by some in the Irish Catholic Church, they do consider
genealogy a business as proven by the Archdiocese of Cashel & Emly, in
County Tipperary. They do run a "Heritage Center" and currently charge
79 Euros just to look up an "possible" ancestor. Then another 25 Euros
to make the copies and send to you. There has been an endless debate
between some genealogists over the ownership of Catholic records in
Ireland, as well as the amounts charged by different archdiocese. Even
the Irish tourism board has gotten involved because they want American
tourists, but many genealogists are reluctant to travel to Ireland
until they have done extensive research in Irish records, which some
Archdiocese charge an excessive fee to get. So it is a "catch-22" if
you will. There have been, in the past, attempts to persuade the
Archbishops to lower their fees and/or make their records more
accessible, but to no avail. There was even an attempt to raise funds
to purchase special equipment for these Catholic Heritage centers
because one reason they charge so much, they say, is the labor involved
in accessing and copying records. So the business end of this issue is
commonly known to many. When I first started years ago, I was told that
"the Irish consider genealogy a gold mine" and charge big fees to
access records. To this date, I cannot afford to access Irish Catholic
records from the church.
Dan Hogan