Subject: [Irish in Chicago] Social Security Index
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 07:52:17 -0400

In reading the recent query re: finding a person born 1892:

I would suggest a search of the Social Security Index Social Security
Death Index Interactive Search
<http://ssdi.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.cgi>;

This applies to all parts of the USA, but I found it very helpful with
my Chicago searches. In some cases, a copy of the original SS
application is available.

One of these was Kathryn SCHARRINGHAUSEN, my Father's cousin on his
Mother's side. She was born in 1913 in Des Plaines, IL. Her Mother
died in 1917, she and the other 4 children (ages 11 - 2) were not known
from then on, except that they were scattered among the SCHARRINGHAUSEN
relatives. The father, Paul SCHARRINGHAUSEN, remarried later.

I found her in the SSI Interactive Search, she had died 1985 in Los
Angeles with the last name of CHAPMAN. I had a researcher find me her
obituary from that info. That listed a son with the last name of
CAVANAGH. Well, was that the person I was looking for or not??? I sent
for a copy of her application. On that, at age 23 & working at
"Fansteel, N. Chicago" she was listed as Kathryn SCHARRINGHAUSEN
CAVANAGH; her parents names are given, where she was born & when..

So, not only did I find out where she worked in 1937, where she was
living, I found that she had married twice by the time she died in 1985.
That matched with having a son with the last name of CAVANAGH.

Kelly Ward
Schoolcraft, Michigan

This thread: