Subject: [Irish in Chicago] sharing successes & sources (long)
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 09:14:10 EDT

:::emerging from her usual lurking state:::

My father, Philip Kane, died in 1966 when I was in elementary school. The
only information I had on him, when I began my genealogical research was his
death certficate. From his birth certificate, then census records, etc I have
been able to piece together a picture of the family line back to the Kane
immigrant from Ireland. Since that immigrant came prior to 1840, I've got a brick
wall there; but that's just how genealogy is!!!

I can't speak highly enough of the LDS Family History Centers. I am now a
member of the church, but prior to joining I had nothing but great help from the
folks that volunteer in those little centers, regardless of my own religious
affiliation.

Most of my family history success in Chicago has been using the microfilms
that are present in the FHC's; so I can speak best about that resource. Some of
the same information might be online and if anyone else can give a reference
I'd be most appreciative.

I have visited Chicago once, back in the late 80's. At that time I hadn't
known where in Chicago my father's family had lived, so I've never visited the
cemeteries there. All the information that I have been able to gather about my
Kane and McMahon families in Chicago has been from LDS microfilms.

The LDS - FHC has microfilms for various cemeteries in Chicago. Film #
1487487 has burials for Mt Carmel Cemetery. From it I now know where my
grandparents and some of the great-uncles are buried. Film #1509015 has burials for
Calvary Cemetery where my grandmother McMahon's family are buried. (again it's
been awhile, but I think the films are in alphabetical order and there are more
than 1 film for each of the cemeteries, along with supplements.)

I found the cemetery names on the various family death certificates that I
was able to get from the LDS microfilms.

In the FHC they will have fiche with locality information on them. From that
information you can order microfilm indexes of Chicago death certificates and
the corresponding microfilms with the actual death certificates. It's been
awhile since I did research in the death certificates, but I think they stop
about 1920, but it could be later. The fiche also list the various cemetery
films that the FHC holds and which films cover which names.

For those of you Canadians I hope this helps. When I did all my successful
research, I was living in Las Vegas, Nevada. Almost as far away from Chicago
as some of you!!! Check out your local LDS FHC for the information that the
church has microfilmed and has available for your research.

Since I'm relatively new to this list (and have never posted before), I'm not
sure of the ettiquette, but I'm going to list some family names that I'm
researching.

Philip Kane, born 1918 Chicago/died 1966 Los Angeles
Michael Kane, born 1875 McHenry Cty, Illinois/died 1947 Chicago
Anna Veronica McMahon Kane born 1877 Chicago/died 1945 Chicago

Francis Kane born 1842 McHenry Cty, Ilinois/died 1906 Chicago
Mary Harmon Kane born 1848 McHenry Cty, Illinois/died 1925 Chicago

Cornelius McMahon born 1843 Ireland/died 1912 Chicago
Margaret (no maiden name, yet) McMahon born 1848 Ireland/died 1907 Chicago

I hope this helps.

Margaret Kane Ward
Vero Beach, FL
MM to Elder Ryan Ward, Florida, Ft. Lauderdale, 10/04

:::returning to lurk status:::

This thread: