Subject: [Irish in Chicago] Cemeteries & dispersal of family
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 07:59:36 -0400

One more thing:

> Whether the couple remained in that area is not known, but in case
> they did and spent the rest of their life there, could anyone suggest
> a likely cemetery or cemeteries in that area?

I found they were not necessarily buried in the area they lived. In
1894 my great-grandmother (Ellen BURKE DUSHANE living in the Garfield
Park area), was put on a train, with the family riding along, and rode
up to Evanston, IL(?) and buried in the pauper's field on the shore of
Lake Michigan.

After that, two of her daughters (Daisy DUSHANE STREICHER & Mary Ellen
M. DUSHANE VER BURG) married in the next two years, 2 younger daughters
(Maude DUSHANE SHARRINGHAUSEN & Esther "Essie" DUSHANE FOX HAUSSEN were
brought up (I think) by a BURKE aunt (Mary BURKE HODGINS, Des Plaines,
IL), and the father left Chicago in 1900 with his oldest daughter & her
family for California, where he died in 1905. Of the remaining DUSHANE
children: one daughter left @1900 with her family for Grand Rapids,
Michigan (her husband's birth place), one son died 1903, two daughters
(Maude & Essie, listed above) married in Chicago and lived in that area
the rest of their lives, and I have no idea what became the other son -
Philip Timothy "Bud" DUSHANE.
(Needless to say, if any of these names are known to you, I'd love to
hear from you!!)

I highly recommend a book for seeing into the daily lives of our early
Chicago families:

"Challenging Chicago; Coping with Everyday Life, 1837-1920" Perry R.
Duis, University of Illinois Press, 1998, ISBN 0-252-02394-3

Kelly Ward, Schoolcraft, Michigan

This thread: