Subject: [Irish in Chicago] St. Philips/St. Mel
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 07:26:26 -0400

> I have found the recent discussion regarding the sharing of
> information on successes very interesting, particularly the
> contributions on discovering information from cemeteries.
> Unfortunately I have had no success with my Cook County brick wall,
> and my distance from Chicago is no help.
> I believe that a relative was married in 1890 in the parish of St.
> Philips which I am given to understand was later known as St. Mel's.
> Whether the couple remained in that area is not known, but in case
> they did and spent the rest of their life there, could anyone suggest
> a likely cemetery or cemeteries in that area?

These parish records are on film from the LDS Family History Center (you
can access their film library list on the 'net and get the numbers even
before you go order them). I used them to great success. The
marriages, baptisms list the (even the confirmation of my grandmother's
oldest sister) sponsors - extremely valuable info. It verified that ALL
the BURKE family had moved there from Oshkosh, Wisconsin. It told me my
gravely ill great-grandmother gathered her family and joined them, too),
who baptized another generation there, who the brothers had married,
going by that info I was able to find two on the @189? voting
registration (giving me addresses & info that one was a naturalized
citizen in the Chicago court records),and one was in the 1920 census
where the names of all his children were given). That small piece of
film broke down my BURKE brick walls.

I only live about 2 1/2 hours from Chicago, but it is beyond my scope to
navigate my way in that city. I live in a 'village' with two (2)
traffic lights, not even a 'city' or 'town'..........Kelly

This thread: