From: The Green Family <>
Subject: [Irish in Chicago] Sharing
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 13:46:27 -0400

I was drawn to Chicago because my great-grandfather Patrick Cartan's two sisters, Bridget and Sarah
moved there from Toronto in about 1884. Their parents Michael and Sarah Cartan and siblings had
emigrated from Ireland to Canada in about 1852, ending up in Toronto. Bridget married John Meehan
and Sarah married John Stanton. Eventually the parents moved there along with youngest unmarried son
John. The elder Cartans, the Meehans and some of the Stantons are buried in Mount Olivet.

Because Cartan is not one of the common Irish names, I've had a theory for some time that my Cartans
were following relatives, the other Chicago Cartans, Thomas Cartan and Margaret Moran and family who
immigrated to Illinois, initially to Ottawa, about 1849, but I haven't been able to prove it. One
of Thomas and Margaret's sons was Fr. Joseph Cartan who was long-time pastor of one of the south
Chicago parishes at the end of the 1800's.

Pardon the fact that I can't name streets and neighbourhoods. I'm a Canadian and have never been to
Chicago -- too chicken to tackle the size of it. Does flying over it count?

Lorraine Green

This thread: