From: " Maureen Spokes" <>
Subject: [Irish in Chicago] sharing information
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 11:02:19 -0400

Kelly
It has taken me about four years to uncover some fascinating information
about the Irish in Chicago. My own family did not especially want to
talk about the past. I took that as a sign that it was something
shameful but I found out quite the opposite. The labor movement in
Chicago at the end of the 19th century was a result of the Irish there
and resulted in what we know today as the American middle class worker.
(It may be reaching a little but then again - I'm Irish.) Someday we
should put all of research together on one site for everyone to enjoy. I
have been studying the story of Englewood, which is where my family
started out - in Visitation parish. There is no place like Chicago and
the Irish there played a big part in her story. I am totally fascinated
by it. We need to keep researching (and sharing).

Maureen Devlin

This thread: