From: Bonnie <>
Subject: [Irish in Chicago] NARA Famine Immigrants Database
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 11:40:09 -0500

I just saw this posted on my IRISH-IN-NY list. Thanks to the
list admin, Tracy, for this info. I haven't visited yet, but several
others on the NY list had, and found it valuable.

The National Archives (NARA) has released a free, online,
searchable database of Famine Immigrants for the years 1846-1851.
This database contains approximately 604,596 individuals who
arrived at the port of New York during this time frame. (Not all in
the database are from Ireland, but most are.)

Information on an individual in the database may include name,
location of last residence, age, destination, arrival date, literacy,
transit status, travel compartment and manifest ID number.

There doesn't seem to be any easy way to get into the database,
other than to follow these steps:

http://aad.archives.gov/aad/topic_search_results.jsp

1. Click on database title, 'Famine Irish Database Files 1977?-1989?'
2. If you scroll alittle ways down, you will see a small table with the
database title in it. Scroll the table to the last box on the right side
titled 'Options.' Click on 'Search.'

Good luck.

Bonnie

This thread: