From: "Eileen Johnson" <>
Subject: [Irish in Chicago] Doyle and Donnelly
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 19:59:16 -0500

I'm looking for my Chicago Irish ancestors. Peter Doyle and his wife Eleanor McDonnell came to Chicago about 1848 from County Wexford, Ireland. Their children were: Eliza, Mary,Ann, James M (my great-grandfather) Bridgid and Austin. All but Austin J. were born in Ireland.

James M Doyle was a grocer before the Civil war , after the war he was a Clerk of the Court in Chicago. He was in Company A, 23rd Illinois Volunteer Infantry from 1862 to 1865 when he was mustered out as a Captain. He married Rose Donnelly in Chicago on May 14, 1878 and they had 5 children - Julia, Eleanor M, Leo J, James J, and Charles I. Rose Donnelly was related somehow to Ignatius Donnelly, the Minnesota Politician.

Eleanor Doyle was a nun in the order The Daughters of the Heart of Mary. Charles was a Jesuit Priest who taught at Loyola University. My grandfather James J was a druggist and later an analyst for the State of Illinois. Leo was a Lawyer and later a Judge in Illinois and maybe Michigan?

Is any of this familiar to anyone? I've not had much luck finding any Doyle relatives.

Eileen Beales Johnson
Lexington, NC

This thread: