Subject: Re: [Irish in Chicago] cemetaries used by so side irish
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 16:50:04 EST

My family (we lived in St. Columbanus parish) all was buried at Mt. Olivet
Cemetery. Many Irish bought several lots when the first of the family died.
If the first deaths were from after 1900.......chances are that they may have
been buried there. Holy Sepulchre Cemetery came a little later. Another
South Side Catholic cemetery which is a little older than Holy Sepulchre is
St. Mary. It seems that early Irish burials weren't done at St. Marys - only
later ones. Calvary seems to have been used by South Side Irish before 1900,
since the first of these South Side cemeteries were just being built. My
ggrandmother (Sarah Gaul nee hickey) died in 1911 - hence. Holy Sepulchre.

My grandfather read the obits (Chi Tribune) every morning. Many people in
the same neighborhood knew each other, so they did not want to miss anything.
My grandfather loved a good wake; he never missed one.

Maureen

This thread: