From: Nancy Mazzeo Reeb <>
Subject: 4th Hughes Family Letter
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 20:54:40 -0500

Letter from John Jackson (brother-in-law)
Franked St. Lewis Feb. 12, 1850
Received Fredericton March 28, 1850
Addressed to:
North America
Saint Johns New Brunswick
For Mr. Larens Hughes

Saint Lewis
February the 5th 1850
Dear Mr. Hughes
I address you in these lines hoping they will find you in good health
as I am at present. Thank God for his mercies to me. Having addressed
you with several letters, this is one of the sorrowfullest letters you
ever got from me. I left home on the second of November '49 and landed
in New Orleans after a passage of eleven weeks and four days. We had one
of widow Gormley's boys out with us. He took the fever and got a man to
take care of him but he got so outrageous that the man could make no
hand of him. There he lay and every one coming to me making complaints
that he was pulling the clothes off their berths and leaping through the
ship for he was deranged. I had to take care of him myself and was sick
coming into Orleans where I lay for five weeks and then Salley took ill
and we were laying in the one bed and not one to give us a drink but my
sister who was after putting a severe turn of sickness over her and was
not able to come up to where we lay but twice a day. She would come to
bring us a drink. I then sent for a carriage and sent her to hospital
and took a chance myself. I thought her life would be saved but alas she
died in three days after she went in and I did not know of it for three
weeks after when my sister and family was going up to Gilleena (Galena,
Ill.) and was bring me with them and I asked them to send for Salley.
When they told me she was dead, I then took to my bed and lay three
weeks not knowing my own sister when she would bring me a drink. I was
then sent to hospital for ten days till I recovered and then they
brought me up to Gilleena and I was not able to earn one shilling til
the 17th of May when I commenced mining and was successful for in six
weeks I earned 22 pounds and believe me it was wanting but God tempers
the weather for the thorn. To me the thorn was into the quick.
My dear Mr. Hughes, I send my best respects to you in the warmest manner
and hope you will answer my letter as soon as you can by return of
poste. I wrote two letters home and got no answer and indeed they were
worth answering. I sent two pounds in one to the Olde Woman and two
pounds ten shillings to little Thomas Armstrong, as I was his godfather,
and got no answer to none of these letters. I fear they have been
misled. Let me know in your letter if you got a letter from your mother.
If I stop in this country I will send for little Margaret and Thomas but
hear I am happy in the middle of plenty now.
Dear friend this is a fine country. You will get a farm in shares hear
and very easy to labour in a find healthy country. Every thing is very
cheep hear. Beef from three cents to one cent per pound, butter 14 cents
per pound, flour per barrel 4 dollars. A man can live very easy with a
family.
My dear sir, I would be glad to see you in this country or at Gileena as
it is a more healthy country. I will say more in my next letter. I would
be happy to see all of us hear as Salley was so fond of her (Rose
Hughes). No more at present but I remain your affectionate friend, John
Jackson.
(PS) When you write, direct your letter to John Jackson, Saint Lewes,
State of Misurey.
(PPS) I have one of Salley's gowns for Margaret. It was the only thing
they left me belonging to her and they took my shirt, five pare of
stockings and the half of the feathers out of my bead.

This thread: