From: Nancy Mazzeo Reeb <>
Subject: 3rd Hughes Family Letter
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 20:45:18 -0500

Letter from John Jackson (brother-in-law)
Franked Monaghan, Ireland, Feb. 16, 1848 and St. John, Mar. 18, 1848
Lawrence Hughes
North America
St. John
New Brunswick
Fredericton
Parish of Duglas

February 17, 1848

Sir: I received your letter of the 12th of December which gives one word
of great comfort to hear that you and your wife and children are all in
good health. Thank God we are all in the same. Tho this country is much
afflicted with Disorders, thank God we all got free. Yet if God was
pleased to visit the Olde Man and Michael Armstrong with sickness, we
had the pleasure of our neighbors about us. Michael Armstrong died by
alcoholic in two days illness. A sore leg with age was the Olde Man's
complaint. You may let Rosie know that her sister Cathron('s) husband is
dead. That is Patt Conoley. Indeed she will not be very sorry for that.
Nor neither are we for her and her four children is far better wanting
him. But you may guess my situation with the OldeWoman and Margaret and
her three children, Catron and her four children all depending on me to
give them seporte. You may guess yourself how I am. There is no one I
feel for so much as the Olde Woman for at the Olde Man's death they
prompt him up to leave but very little in her power. She is the one Iye
think of muste and will do all I can for her.
My dear friends, you are cautious in giving me encouragement to go out
to America but I must go now for if I work as hard in America as I have
to do hear, I could give the Olde Woman a better living than I can now
in this country for them that was to give her the seporte she was to get
forgets their duty to her.
Tho she holds the half of the place and I have to worke all the place
for it was never divided as I was to get it all at his death tho he done
other ways.
Now my dear sir, I think it better to go out when I am able than wish I
had and then what I give to the Olde Woman will be her own. Sera would
wish to go see you and Rosey and the little children but it would be too
much out of our way to go that way as I intend to go to Illinnois. But
if I go I will write to you before I set out and when I settle be it
where it may I will write to you and we may have the happiness to meet
some time for Sera thinks if she woulde get one sight of Rosey and the
children that all would be well.
I would go to that country but it is not as good as the United States.
As for my parte, if I like the country I will settle there for life if I
can get about 40 acres of land and cast as much of it in crop as will
seporte me and Salley. It is all I want but if the country does not
agree with us we will live other ways. My dear Mr. Hughes, when I write
to you I will let you know all about that country that we may meet at
some future period of life if I can get the journey accomplished. For if
Sera could see a sight of Rosey she would dye content.
This country is much opressed by taxation and deaths. Every day there is
an inquest on the baby of some poor creature dying of starvation and
colde. There has been four dye this laste week in this visinety by
hunger. Rosey wants to know if Michael Armstrong dyed in the true
feath. Yes. He was crisened in the rites of the Catholick Church and had
but two minutes to spear till he expired.
My Dear Mr. Hughes: If I could rite all the threats of this country,
four sheets of paper would not contain every seen of misery ours every
day. When I was writing I asked Salley if she would like to see her
cister. She leapt with joy and then so exclaimed, "my mother, what is
she to do". I told her that we would be of more use to her in America
than at home. In so saying the tears stole down her cheeks which made me
stop the subject and say no more.
My dear sir, the farm is so small that it will not seporte all the
people that is left on it for when the Olde Man was dying, he had no
thought of Michael Armstrong('s) death and when he died all fell on me.
If he had lived, some of the burden would fall on him.
Rosey want to know who has her Uncle James' farm. Her Uncle John's boys
has it all and if they could they would have more. For Michael
Armstrong purchased the full before John went to America and when they
got him away they went to the landlord and got it from him as he was no
tenant. I was wanting him to go live in your Uncle James' house but
Margaret would not let him for fear of losing the half of her farm land,
so she lost the sheep for the half penny worth of tare (she lost the
ship for the hapenny worth of tar). For if they had took my advice and
been living in the house the landlord would not have put them out and if
we had that field now we would be better off.
JOHN JACKSON

FROM YOUR MOTHER: My dear child. If John goes to America, you will not
let me want. I send my blessing to you and your little children.
PS: James Leonard is the name of Helen McCloonns husband, a son of John
Leonard of Dreneeritten. Edward McCloon wishes that his three sister
would send him some Help as he stands in great need at present to
ineable him to put in the crop. The wife looks to her own hand.

This thread: