From: "Carole Demers" <>
Subject: Chicago Hennessys, etc.
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 18:56:57 -0800

How do you find out what the various sections of Chicago were named? The
1880 census showed my Hennessy family living at 212 Newberry Avenue, and in
1937 my grandmother, Mary Elizabeth Hennessy Brennan, lived at 2155 North
Kilbourne Ave. in Chicago. I don't know if this is known as the north
side/southside, or whatever...

I am still researching the Hennessys of Chicago, ca 1700 originated with
Timothy Hennessy in Dangan, Co Cork, Ireland; Timothy married Kate Fahy &
resided in Lisvernane, Glen of Aherlow, Parish of Clonbeg, Tipperary. Their
grandson Timothy Hennessy (son of Michael Hennessy & Mary Cleary) and his
sisters Hanorah (PUMA), Catherine (single) came to Chicago ca 1870. Timothy
married Grace CRONIN of Ballylanders, Limerick, ca 1870 in Chicago. Grace
died of 1884 & Timothy d. 1888, buried in Calvary cemetery. Two children:
Mary Elizabeth (Mrs. David) BRENNAN, d. Dec 1937, Michael d. Nov 1891, age
16

Hennessy cousins to Chicago:

Mary FOX, b. 13 Mar 1860 (daughter of Mary Hennessy & Robert Fox,
Lisvernane, Tipp) m. Thomas POWER of Emly County, Tipp, 21 Aug 1889, in
Chicago. 2 children Nellie (aka Ellen R.) m. Emil SUTTER/ Mayme m. Andrew
O'CONNOR Mary Fox m. Peter DUNNE ca 1899, had one daughter, Anne, who
married Louis WEBBER.

Arthur Hennessy, b. 1870 (son of Laurence Hennessy & Kate SAMPSON of
Lisvernane, Tipp), d. 1931, m. unk. MORRISSEY, Chicago.

Timothy Hennessy (son of Tim Hennessy & Ellen QUIRKE of Lisvernane, Tipp.),
m. Mary MULCAHY, 1925, lived in Chicago & worked as a U.S. Govt Printer.

James Hennessy, son of (Tim Hennessy & Ellen Quirke) m. Mary HOGAN,
Practiced medicine in Chicago.

I would like to make a connection with someone who is related to, or knew of
these people or their descendents. Would be happy to share information.

Carole

This thread: