From: Sandra Broda <>
Subject: Re: Libraries
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 15:36:07 -0500

I sent a private response to the original posting, but it occurs
to me that some of the information might be useful to the
list in general.

The Chicago Historical Society Library has a unique collection
that can be useful for researching neighborhoods. For
example, I found a copy of a high school project done by my
mother's contemporaries at Kelly High School to describe
their neighborhood, Brighton Park. This was am amazing
find for me, not least because it inadvertently confirmed my
mother's story about wandering off as a small child with a
gypsy organ grinder and his monkey. For obvious reasons,
I'd always doubted that this could be true, then years after
her death I read in this project that the area had had trouble
with gypsies. To say I was surprised was an understatement.

Although this type of thing won't be available for every
neighborhood, if you have the time it is worth a look.

Sandy Broda

This thread: