Subject: Re: Church Records Plus Wards and Maps
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 14:37:00 EDT

If I might put my two cents in regarding the use of MapQuest and old city
addresses. I was in Chicago this past June and did research at the Newberry
Library (great place!). I was looking at the city directories and somewhere
between 1900 and 1910 the address number changed on some streets. Ontario
was one and Ravenswood was the other. There may have been others but those
were the only ones of which I had an interest.

Nora

> Hello everyone!
> To find the exact ward, you might have to do some map comparisons as they
> have changed over the years. Some death certificates have ward numbers on
> them
>
> You can get a current ward map of Chicago from the city's web page. Select
> find your alderman and you can get a .pdf of the current wards.
>
> www.ci.chi.il.us
>
> There is a map collection of numerous maps and ward history at the
> University
> of Chicago.
>
> www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/su/maps
>
> If you need to find the address in Chicago, go to www.mapquest.com
> plug in the address and compare it to the current and old ward maps and
> then
> compare it to the Church listing at
> http://www.rootsweb.com/~itappcnc/pipcnchicagochurches.htm
>
> You'll enjoy putting these pieces of the puzzle together!

This thread: