From: Sandra Broda <>
Subject: Chicago City Directory Access?
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 16:07:34 -0500

Is there anyone with access to a Chicago City Directory for 1930/31 (or any
time in the 1930's) who would be willing to do a quick lookup for me? I am
willing to do a lookup in exchange. I'm in downstate Illinois, so my
access to Chicago resources is limited, but I do have access to the federal
Illinois censuses and some of the Illinois state censuses. Our library also
has a guide that lists Chicago parishes together with their history, ethnic
composition, and location.

I'm trying to find my grandparents' family in the 1930 census. I have
their address as of 1929/30, but someone else is living at that address in
the census. I know that the family moved several times during the
depression, and unfortunately this appears to be one of those times. I
would love to locate them, as this is the first time my mother appears in a
census, but so far trying to read the entire census for Brighton Park isn't
working.

I am looking for address information for Robert H. Aird (wife is Catherine,
if it helps). There are hardly any Airds in Chicago, but most of them are
named Robert (I descend from Robert J., Robert C., and Robert H., to give
you an idea), so if no middle initials are specified I would need all of
them to be sure I got the right one (worst-case scenario is 6 names or so).
(Btw, although the name "Aird" is as Scottish as it sounds, Robert J.
married Mary Kinsella, and Robert H.'s wife was Catherine O'Connell.)

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Sandy Broda

This thread: