From: "Maureen" <>
Subject: where have all the Irish gone?
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 20:32:17 -0400

I am new to this list and I really have two questions. First, in doing my family research I found out that my father grew up on 5528 Union St. in Chicago. Does anyone know where this is or what the neighborhood is called today? I know that the parish was Visitation Catholic Church and it is on Garfield St. Visitation used to have a school but I think that is has been assimilated with St. Basils now. I ordered the parish records and saw that the list of names was predominantly Irish.

Sometimes in doing my research I look for Irish connections in Chicago and find very little. This is so confusing considering that the Irish made up such a large percent of the population. Were they just assimilated? Why isn't there any information about the Irish in Chicago?

Maureen Devlin Spokes

This thread: