From: "Judith A. Mason" <>
Subject: Re: Irish Newspapers?
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 21:00:25 -0500

Shelly;

I'm not sure what time frame the newpaper was being published but know it
was at least 10 years before and after the turn of the century. It was
called the Irish Citizen. I have not used this as a research tool because
the Chicago Historical Society only has issues 1882 to 1885. The complete
set (on film) is at one of the colleges here in Chicago but very expensive
to view the films.....the Historical Society can give you more information
312-642-4600 (ask for the library).

As for Irish neighborhoods.........they were all over!!! I guess the best
way of determining exactly where they were would be by the Irish churches.
There is a book "Location of Chicago Roman Catholic Churches 1850 to 1990"
by Jack Bochar. In chapter 8, Ethnic Composition at Founding, it lists 60
Irish churches. I purchased the book through the Czech & Slovak American
Genealogy Society of Illinois, P.O. Box 313, Sugar Grove, IL

Hope this helps.
Judie
www.CSAGSI.org