From: Sandra Broda <>
Subject: O'Connell, Kaveney, Hart, McAleese
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 11:01:15 -0500

I would like to compare notes with anyone researching any of these families.

As someone who has been researching the origins of James and Mary (Kaveney)
O'Connell and has run across many, many O'Connells, let me try to identify
my branch to avoid confusion. My O'Connells descend from Michael H.
O'Connell who married Margaret McAleese. Michael was born in Ireland
around 1848; family rumor has place of birth as Cork, but this hasn't been
proven; Margaret was born in Canada in 1852, but her parents were both born
in Ireland. There's at least a decent chance that the O'Connells lived in
Canada before moving to Chicago, and I've seen some circumstantial evidence
that perhaps Michael had siblings born there. Michael and Margaret lived on
Gault Street on the north side before moving south, and their descendants
ended up in Brighton Park by the early 1900's. They were laborers and
worked on the railroads. The name "Maurice" appears in several generations,
so I suspect another ancestor with that name, but I don't know who ... yet.

James O'Connell, Michael H's son, was born in 1868. Names and dates for
his brothers and sisters and descendants is available on my web page at
http://guitar.psych.uiuc.edu/~sandy/PA/MikeH.html

Kaveney has many spellings. My own mother recorded it as Cavney in the
family Bible(!), but it usually was spelled with a "k" in public records,
including once being indexed as "Kaverly" in the Chicago death
index. Catherine Hart and John Kaveney were Mary (Kaveney) O'Connell's
parents. Both natives of Ireland (Catherine was from Sligo), they married
in Will County before moving to Chicago. I know of three surviving children
(although the 1900 census indicates there were four others): Kitty, Mary,
and Michael. Mary Kaveney was James Messett's widow when she married James
O'Connell.

Please get in touch if anything about these people seems familiar.

Sandy Broda

This thread: