From: The Green Family <>
Subject: New Member seeks help
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 22:17:42 -0500

Hello --

I'm new to this mailing list and hope that someone out there has had some connection with my family.

Two branches of the Cartan family came to Chicago at different times.

1) Thomas Cartan and his (first) wife Margaret Moran came to Illinois in about 1848 from Ireland,
first to the Ottawa area then moved into Chicago. Had 8 children by the time Margaret died. A few
years later Thomas married Rosanna Hogarty and had 5 more children.

2) Michael Cartan and his wife Sarah Doyle came to Canada from Ireland about 1852. Their two
daughters Bridget (married John Meehan) and Sarah (married William Stanton) married and settled in
Chicago about 1885. Their brother Joan and parents Michael and Sarah followed the girls to Chicago
in the 1890's and died there in 1900 and 1904 respectively.

Is there anybody out there with connections to and information about any of these people? The
biggest thing I'm trying to find out is where in Ireland they might have come from.

Happy New Year everyone!

Lorraine Green

This thread: