Archiver > IRISH-IN-CHICAGO > 2001-11 > 1006650668

From: Ellen Naliboff <>
Subject: Re: CIVIL WAR Question
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 17:11:08 -0800
References: <003101c17549$ed7c6720$d230a641@computer>

In order to locate the compiled service records of a soldier, the unit
in which he served must be known, or located through the use of an
index. The Family History Library has a microfilm of the compiled
service records of volunteer Union soldiers.
OR, Look in the state where he lived in 1890 for the special Census of
Veterans and Widows. You will get the Company and Regiment which you
need to apply for his pension application and military record from NARA.
Requests for searches by the staff at National Archives and Records
Administration should be made on NATF Form 86, Order for Copies of
Veterans' Records. You can obtain the NATF Form 86 by providing your
name and mailing address . Be sure to specify "Form 86"
and the number of forms you need. The fee is $37.50, payable only if the
requested records are found. If the record cannot be found, no payment
is required.
The military records are not microfilmed so you cannot search them

Betty Patton wrote:

> Does anyone know if a CIVIL WAR soldier who fought in a unit from, say, Ohio, then, after the war relocate to another state, say, Illinois and apply for a pension in Illinois? Or, must he make pension application from the state from which he did his service?
>The answer to this could be very helpful in my search, and I would imagine others folks searches as well.
>Thank you.
>Rich Patton
>Search over 1 Billion names at!

This thread: