From: "John Kerley" <>
Subject: Marriage Licenses
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 16:55:23 -0600

I am searching for Kerley and Fitzgerald in Chicago.

I just received a copy of what I believe is for my ggrandparents. There is
just one thing. From the 1900 census they listed birth years of 1874 for
ggrandmother Nellie Fitzgerald and 1872 for ggrandfather John Kerley. The
marriage license listed an age of 21 for John and 18 for Nellie. The
marriage took place on November 1, 1899, which is consistent with the
census. This would make John about 27 and Nellie 25. Was it a usual
practice for a priest to enter what I assume was the legal age for marriage
for each and not their actual ages?

I also received a death certificate for John Kerley. Unfortunately, if is
the wrong John Kerley. There aren't that many of us out there. Even fewer
in Chicago and to have two die around the same time is quite interesting.
This John died Feb. 6, 1934, born April 20, 1848 in Harvard, MA. Married
to Mary Mooney. If this is of any help to anyone I would be glad to share
with them.

--- John Kerley
---

This thread: