From: "Maureen Shelly" <>
Subject: Re: Illinois Statewide Marriage Index
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 21:24:27 -0600

I have tried the database for Illinois marriages at Ancestry.con but I
believe it still is very small compared to the complete record at the State
Archives site. I still recommend that everyone try the state site and I
will try to post the direct URL.

All seven of my late 1800s family weddings in Cook County, which I
documented through the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, are not available
in the Ancestry.com listing.

The titles of databases at Ancestry often lead us to think they may contain
an entire state when, in fact, they may contain only a few sparsely-settled
counties ..... so one needs to read very carefully every word of the lengthy
database description, and not infer from the title Ancestry has used that
the database will contain all the records for the state or county or city
mentioned.

Maureen