From: "Maureen Shelly" <>
Subject: Catholic Parish Records
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:41:43 -0500

THAT'S GREAT NEWS! All Archdiocese of Chicago pre-1916 records are
available on microfilm at all LDS Family History Centers throughout the
world!

Many Catholic dioceses have refused the Mormons permission to film their
records!

One can get the correct info on one's own from LDS FHC and then ask the
parish for a copy of the certificate of Baptism and/or Marriage with the
correct names and dates. Let's face it, parishes don't have the staff to do
our searches for us. And they usually won't let us in to do it ourselves,
we tried that, too. But we can get certificates if we provide the info and
they can go right to that date ....... their records are mostly
chronological and not well-sorted alphabetically by surname, as we might
hope.

In another Archdiocese, we paid $10 per hour for an archivist to search
parish records for us. In two hours she got a lot of info. Does anyone
know if Chicago has a similar pay-for-service system at their archives for
those of us who don't (as I luckily do!) live eight blocks away from a
Mormon Family History Center?

Maureen