Subject: Re: McGraw
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 11:38:32 EDT

In a message dated 10/25/2001 1:01:07 PM Central Daylight Time,
writes:

> I'm a new subscriber looking for some advice on what to do next. The
> Feb. 24, 1905 funeral notice for my great grandfather, Thomas McGraw,
> said he was being buried out of St. Malachy's Church, 2248 W. Washington
> Blvd, and buried in Oak Ridge cemetery.
>
> Since the Archdiosesan website says they have parish records only for
> closed parishes, and St. Malachy's is still open, I wrote to St.
> Malachy's to ask if the old parish records might give me any clue as to
> date and place of his birth. I received back a postcard that said they
> never heard of him. No explanation was given.
>
> What do I do now? Is it worth writing to the Archdiocese archives
> office to ask if they have these old records even if the church is still
> open?

Sarah,
I think you will need to do more research before you try sacramental records.
Burials were NOT sacraments and in most parishes were not recorded. (An
exception might be in Quebec parishes.) Just because a person was buried from
a certain church, it doesn't mean that he lived in the neighborhood all his
life!
You will need to check census records for your great-grandfather to determine
where he lived, when and where he married, where his children were born, etc.
When you have him pinned to a time and place where civil or sacramental
records were kept, then you can ask for them.
Hope this helps.
Kathy Lund

This thread: