From: Jim Mullany <>
Subject: Re: Fahey/O'Regan
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 09:26:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

Regarding Co. Mayo Faheys from the nineteenth century,
I have been attempting to track down ancestors of
Bishop Anthony O'Regan (1809 - 1866), 3rd bishop of
the Chicago Diocese. In a number of biographies of the
controversial bishop, his mother is given as Mary
Fahey O'Regan, married to Michael O'Regan and they
lived in Lavalleyroe, Co. Mayo at the time of
Anthony's birth. Michael and Mary O'Regan were my
ggg-grandparents. My gg-grandfather Thoms O'Regan was
born in Ballyhaunis, Co. Mayo in 1832.

I received some interesting information (and a copy of
his portrait) regarding Bishop O'Regan from the
Chicago Diocese but I'm always interested in
increasing my knowledge of this complicated man. Many
sources seem to indicate that Bishop O'Regan clashed
with a number of Catholic ethnic communities in
Chicago during his three-year tenure, but I've never
heard the complete story on this.

Any leads on the Faheys in Co. Mayo or Bishop O'Regan
would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Mullany
Sandia Park, New Mexico