IRISH-DNA-L Archives

Archiver > IRISH-DNA > 2008-04 > 1207579557

From: Robert Warren <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-DNA] Cooper - Ydna
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 07:45:57 -0700 (PDT)

Alyson --

I had a similar experience with my WARREN line. R1B1C and H are a very common combination throughout Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales, so that alone doesn't get you very far. There's and interesting map at: http://www.scs.uiuc.edu/~mcdonald/WorldHaplogroupsMaps.pdf that shows piecharts of haplogroups for each geographic area.

A couple of suggestions:
-- First, join the Irish Heritage group on Family Tree DNA. They have a spreadsheet you can download to see if you match up with any of the other members. They also match up surnames with counties in Ireland where the surname is common in early records (e.g. Griffith's Evaluation).
-- Second, Ethno Ancestry will (for a fee) do a profile on your already known yDNA markers to tell you which of Oppenheimer's haplogroup classifications you fall into -- this is useful because he provides maps that show you the 'density' of particular haplogroups in different areas of Great Britain and Ireland. Mine, for example, has its highest density in southern Scotland and extreme northern Ireland.
-- Third, you can do your own analysis of the 12 & 25 marker Recent Ancestral Origins databases on FTDNA. For example, I looked at exact matches in the 12-marker database and figured out the portion of participants from each country that matched me -- that gave me probabilities that people related to me came from the same places (in my case, Ireland, Scotland & Wales came out highest).

Bob Warren