IRELAND-L Archives

Archiver > IRELAND > 2002-04 > 1019065880

Subject: RE: [IRELAND] EMMIGRATION PRIOR TO 1845
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 13:51:20 -0400

Here are a few of the books from my annotated bibliography. Do not forward as this is copyrighted material.
Anuta, Michael, Ships of our Ancestors. Photos of 880 ships that brought immigrants to the U.S., 1819-1960. Bibliography on ships and shipbuilding.
Adams, William Forbes, Ireland and the Irish Emigration to the New World from 1815 to the Famine, New York, Russell & Russell [1967, c1960] Based on the author's thesis, Yale University.
Mass immigration to the United States was nowhere more apparent than in the immigration of the Irish between 1815 and the failure of the potato crop in 1845/1846, during which time a million Irish men and women crossed the seas to take up permanent residence in America. Adams provides a detailed account of the economic, social, and political factors underlying the early migrations; an examination of the emigrant trade and its links with American shipping interests; and a history of government policy regarding assisted and unassisted emigration. An exhaustive and engaging book.
Adams, Raymond D., Ulster Emigrants to Philadelphia, 1803-1850 A list of 3,200 Ulster emigrants to Philadelphia from the port of Londonderry between 1803 and 1850. Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, 1979. The Northern Irish port of Londonderry (here referred to as Derry) was the principal port of departure for Irish emigrants during the first half of the nineteenth century. The work at hand is an effort to enumerate the immigrant trade between Derry and the port of Philadelphia for that period of time. Mr. Adams, who combed through U.S. Customs Passenger Lists at the National Archives, the passenger manifests of the Cunard and Cooke shipping lines, and the civil parish emigration lists retained by the Public Record Office in Northern Ireland, in preparing this work, provides us with a list of 3,200 Ulster emigrants to Philadelphia between 1803 and 1850. Arranged alphabetically according to the head of the household--with other family members listed immediately under t!
he head--the entries typically furnish the name of the emigrant, his/her age, town and county of origin, where given, year of emigration, and name of ship. Ulster Emigrants to Philadelphia, which commences with a concise overview of the causes of the emigration and concludes with an alphabetical checklist of townlands (addresses) and their
associated counties in Ireland, is as complete a work on its subject as we are likely to have.
Bentley, Elizabeth P., compiler, Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York, 1820-1829; From Customs Passenger Lists This book contains the names of more than 85,000 passengers (listed alphabetically) who arrived in New York from 1820-1829. Taken from a direct transcription of the original microfilmed passenger lists (NARA roll 1 through part of roll 13 of M237), this book serves not only as a supplement to the microfilmed card index from the National Archives but is a much better index for this time period.

Bentley, Elizabeth P., compiler , Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York, 1830-1832; From Customs Passenger Lists A sequel to the above book, and arranged in the same way, this volume contains the names of about 65,000 passengers who arrived in New York from 1830-1832. Coverage is for NARA microfilm roll 13 through part of roll 18 of M237.
Bentley, Elizabeth P., compiler, Passenger Arrivals at the Port of Baltimore 1820-1834; From Customs Passenger Lists Arranged like the New York volumes discussed above, this book contains the names of about 50,000 passengers (listed alphabetically) who arrived in Baltimore from 1820-1834. About 75% of the passengers were German, many of the rest were British or Irish. This book serves not only as a supplement to the microfilmed soundex from National Archives but it is a much better index for this time period.

Bentley, Elizabeth P., compiler, Passenger Arrivals at the Port of Philadelphia 1800-1819
Arranged like the New York and Baltimore volumes discussed above, this book contains the names of about 40,000 passengers (listed alphabetically) who arrived in Philadelphia from 1800-1819. Most of the passengers were from Great Britain (especially Northern Ireland) and Germany. This book serves not only as a supplement to the microfilmed index from the National Archives but it is a much better index for this time period. "Baggage lists" were the result of exempting in-coming passengers from paying duty on personal belongings as specified in legislation passed by Congress on March 2, 1799. Approximately 40,000 entries are alphabetically arranged by surnames of passengers, name of the vessel, and date of arrival. A separate alphabetical index lists the ships, their ports, and dates of embarkation. Historical background and a critical evaluation of the lists are covered in the introduction.
Boyer, Carl 3rd. Ship Passenger Lists for New York and New Jersey (1600 -1825) - Edited
and Indexed by Carl Boyer 3rd - 1978. FHLC Fiche No. 6048671. Includes index of
names with a compilation of various records pertaining to immigration of early people to the New York and New Jersey area. (Also includes 3 other volumes covering other areas.) Carl Boyer has been issuing the lists according to their numerical order in Lancour. Books have been briefly annotated; periodical articles are usually reprinted in their entirety or, if a recent monograph contains a reprint of the article, that work will be cited fully.

Boyer, Carl, Ship Passenger Lists: National and New England. (1600-1825)Covers Lancour entries 1-71
Boyer, Carl, Ship Passenger Lists: Pennsylvania and New Jersey (1600-1825) Covers Lancour entries 72-115
Boyer, Carl, Ship Passenger Lists: Pennsylvania and Delaware (1641-1825) Covers Lancour entries 116-197
Boyer, Carl, Ship Passenger Lists: The South Covers Lancour entires 198E-243
Coleman, Terry, Going to America, Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, 1972
This is the grim story of the British and Irish immigrants who came to America during the middle of the nineteenth century. Much the largest contingent was Irish, and it was above all the departure of the Irish to America, diseased, half-starved, bewildered, cheated and cheating, which made the emigrant way across the Atlantic as degrading as the convict route to the South Seas, and almost as cruel as the Middle Passage of the slave ships. Confronting the immigrants at every turn were inescapable horrors. Ship owners packed their holds like slavers; brokers misrepresented and overcharged; runners stole when they couldn't cheat; customs officials took bribes to ignore overcrowding. And when the immigrants arrived the swindling didn't stop. They were fleeced by lodging-house keepers, separated from their possessions, and sold fraudulent railroad or canal boat tickets--in short, the whole, cruel apparatus of immigration was turned against them.
Dobson, David Irish emigrants in North America Baltimore : Reprinted for Clearfield Co. by
Genealogical Publishing Co., 1997-2000. Emigration from Ireland to the Americas can be said to have started in earnest during the early eighteenth century.
Hackett, J. Dominick and Early, Charles M., Passenger Lists from Ireland This work lists about 5,150 passengers who sailed from Ireland to America in the years 1811 and 1815-16, with the following information given for each passenger: the name of the ship, date of arrival, port of departure, port of entry, and point of origin. The two lists cover 109 ships, of which 89 arrived at New York, 17 at Philadelphia, 2 at Baltimore, and 1 at New London.
Hoffman, Frances and Ryan Taylor, Across the Waters: Ontario Immigrants' Experiences, 1820-1850 Selections from firsthand accounts so that today's readers can discover what it meant to be a pioneer in Ontario. From the day they decided to strike off across the Atlantic to the first harvest in their own clearing, the settlers will tell you about the seasickness, the quarantine station, the mosquitoes--the fish you could scoop out of streams with your bare hands, the pride of owning your own land and the joys of helping one another build a house.
Johnson, Daniel F., CG (C) Irish Emigration to New England through the Port of Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada, 1841 to 1849
The Canadian port of St. John, New Brunswick was a magnet for Irish immigration during the decade that culminated in the Great Famine. A majority of these Irish immigrants relocated to Boston or elsewhere in New England, sooner or later, in order to rejoin their family members.
Lancour, Harold, A Bibliography of ship Passenger Lists, Being a Guide to Published Lists of Early Immigrants to North America; with the list of Passenger Arrival Records in the National Archives (1583-1825) New York, New York Public Library, 1938. Contains bibliography of early passenger lists.
This bibliography was for many years the principal reference work on published ship passenger lists, citing sources of lists in books and periodicals. Most of the items cited may be found in larger public and university libraries.
Mitchell, Brian, comp. Irish Passenger Lists, 1847-1871 : lists of passengers sailing from Londonderry to America on ships of J. & J. Cooke Line and the McCorkell Line. Genealogical Publishing Co., 1988. For business reasons two Londonderry shipping firms kept passenger lists of their Atlantic crossings: J. & J. Cooke, 1847-1867, and William McCorkell & Co., 1863-1871.
Mitchell, Brian, Irish Emigration Lists, 1833-1839. Lists of Emigrants Extracted from the Ordnance Survey Memoirs for Counties Londonderry and Antrim. The purpose of the Ordnance Survey of Ireland was to map the whole country at a scale of six inches to one mile, and the six-inch maps appeared between 1835 and 1846.
Ellen
Copyright © 2000 Ellen Naliboff
All rights reserved