INJOHNSO-L Archives

Archiver > INJOHNSO > 2002-04 > 1018205605

From: "Anne Gregory" <>
Subject: [INJOHNSO] Mercer KY/Johnson IN WARDs
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 11:53:25 -0700

OK. Here we go. I am looking for any clues anyone can kindly provide to help
me with my search for the parents and/or siblings of William H. WARD, my
gggrandfather.

According to all census records, William was born in KY abt 1815. According
to his death certificate, he was born in OH Sept 1816. The son who signed
the death cert didn't know the names of William's parents, so he was
probably unclear on the place of birth, as well. William died in Franklin,
Johnson County, IN 28 Jun 1903. He first appears in the Mercer Co, KY census
1840, then again in 1850, with wife, Jane, and children Merritt age 9,
Elevin age 6, and Mary, age 5. In 1860 he is in Johnson County, IN in the
household of Mary POWELL. He is with his wife, Nancy A., and children
Elizabeth, age 6, and Jacob, age 1. In 1870 he is still in Johnson Co, IN,
with wife, Nancy, sons Gates, James and Leaven. Also in his household at
that time are Mary and Bell COMBS.

William married Margaret GRITTON 30 Aug 1840 in Mercer Co, KY. Margaret was
the daughter of William GRITTON and Jenney Jane LIPSEY. He next married
Margaret's sister, Milliann Jane GRITTON 30 Aug 1848. He next married Nancy
Ann LEWIS 06 Oct 1852. All marriages were in Mercer Co., KY.

William's son, Elevin, was my ggrandfather. He was later known as Levon,
with spellings any way you can imagine. He married Elizabeth Florence BROWN,
daughter of Henry V. BROWN and Mary Ann TILSON, in Johnson Co, IN 04 Oct
1877. I have information on that descendancy that I would be happy to share.

Anything on any of these people would be so great!! No piece of information
is too small; maybe if I get something that I can add to what I have I'll
finally be able to piece this together. Everything but the Tilson line is
full of holes that I can't seem to be able to fill.

Thank you,
Anne :)

This thread: