INGREENE-L Archives

Archiver > INGREENE > 2009-02 > 1234471312

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [INGREENE] William Bland - Murder - Mid 1800s
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 20:41:52 -0000

Author: debbiall
Surnames: Bland, Burch, Shaver, Walker, Stamper
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.indiana.counties.greene/10031.2.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

The Blands are sure an interesting bunch. Thank you for the information. I have heard a little about Hiram, but the detail you provided was really cool.

My William is the son of James and Lydia (Burch Shaver) Bland, making William the nephew of the infamous Hiram Bland. Consistently, William's birth date is shown as approximately 1838, making him only 12 when Hiram murdered William Walker in 1850.

So, it appears that those "quarrelsome and dangerous" Blands kept at it after Hiram was executed. Please let me know if you find anything about William being involved in a murder, probably in the late 1850s.

William and wife Mary moved with their daughter's family (William and Elvira (Bland) Stamper) to Camden County, MO, around 1880. According to their gravestone, they both died in 1914.

Important Note: