ILPIATT-L Archives

Archiver > ILPIATT > 2003-04 > 1050792589

From:
Subject: Re: [IlPiatt] CENSUS ON ANCESTRY.COM
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 22:49:54 +0000

Our library does not give me that option. Live in a very small town.

Thanks

Glo
> Hi - - I use Ancestry.com a great deal - - and have made it work for me. It
> has provided a number of contacts with other researchers as well as its
> various data bases.
> However, there is another resouce.
> A number of Public Library systems have a data base titled
> HeritageQuestOnLline.
> It includes Search Census with indexing for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1860,
> 1870, 1890, 1910, and now a start on 1920.
> I also has a Books section with many, many books scanned including some of
> those elusive county histories. just entered the words Piatt County into
> the Place site and there came up 205 results!
> The price - - if it is available through your library system - - only a
> public library card.
> Hope this is of help to some of you.
> Sincerely,
> Pat Ash
> Seattle, Washington
> Researching MARTIN and THOMPSON in Piatt, Illinois
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Rebel Kreklow" <>
> To: <>
> Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2003 12:00 PM

> Subject: [IlPiatt] CENSUS ON ANCESTRY.COM
> > Joann et al.....
> > In several instances I have found that Ancestry.com has apparently missed
> > some people in the indexing of the their on-line census records. I had to
> > ask my father (85 years old and a good thing he is still around) for the
> > names of the farmers living around his family before I could finally
> locate
> > his family. Also, just like each of us, the translation of a written name
> > on a census is in the eye of the beholder. My family name is Kreklow.
> > However, in order to find the goods I have had to enter Kreklow, Krecklow,
> > Kreglow, Kreklon, Crecklow and Kreeklow to find my family.
> > Regarding the quality of the files. You pays your money and takes your
> > chance. It's just like buying a roll of census film from the National
> > Archives, renting it from an LDS Family History Center or buyng a census
> CD
> > and finding out the quality of the image is still poor because the orginal
> > source was poor.

> > Regarding contacts, if you go to the "Help" icon in the upper right hand
> > corner, it will lead you to the answers for 362 frequently asked
> questions.
> > This also lets you contact someone interactively on-line to discuss a
> > problem or issue. I had a nice discussion with a person regarding the
> > omission of my father's family in their 1930s indexing.
> > By and large it is better than most (you can buy census CDs from Heritage
> > Quest.....probably same quality though).
> > Now if I just had digital telephone service so I could speed things up.
> > Best rgards to all.

> on
> > > the Ancestry.com census.....just the 1920 and 1930 names seems to be on
> > the
> > > correct page.
> > > > There is no email address to contact Ancestry.com and I am beginning
> to
> > > feel like I wasted my money.
> > > > I like the way Familysearch.com put out the 1880 census, it is so easy
> > to
> > > find families and read the information.....I hope they put on other
> census
> > > years.
> > > > Does anyone know if Familysearch.com plans to do this?
> > > >

> > > > Is anyone else having a problem with Ancestry.com's census?
> > > >
> > > > Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?
> > > >
> > > > Please post on the Peoria List.
> > > >
> > > > Thanking you in advance.
> > > > Marie in Illinois
> > > > ----- Original Message -----
> > > > From:
> > > > Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2003 4:45 AM
> > > > To:
> > > > Subject: [IlPiatt] 1860 census index lookup
> > > > Hello,
> > > > I am looking for any Mackey family in the Piatt area in 1860. I need
> it
> > to
> > > be
> > > > indexed because when I go into Ancestry by page number I get lost and
> > > can't see
> > > > it. Some of them are so bad I don't know why they put them online.
> > > > Many thanx
> > > > Glo
> > > > ==== ILPIATT Mailing List ====
> > > > To contact the list Coordinator, Richard M. Howland.
> > > mailto:
> > > > ==============================

> > > > To join Ancestry.com and access our 1.2 billion online genealogy
> > records,
> > > go to:
> > > > http://www.ancestry.com/rd/redir.asp?targetid=571&sourceid=1237
> > > > ==== ILPIATT Mailing List ====
> > > > To contact the list Coordinator, Richard M. Howland.
> > > mailto:
> > > > ==============================
> > > > To join Ancestry.com and access our 1.2 billion online genealogy
> > records,
> > > go to:
> > > > http://www.ancestry.com/rd/redir.asp?targetid=571&sourceid=1237
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > ==== ILPIATT Mailing List ====
> > > To contact the list Coordinator, Richard M. Howland.
> > mailto:
> > >
> > > ==============================
> > > To join Ancestry.com and access our 1.2 billion online genealogy
> records,
> > go to:
> > > http://www.ancestry.com/rd/redir.asp?targetid=571&sourceid=1237
> > --- Rebel Kreklow
> > ---
> > --- EarthLink: The #1 provider of the Real Internet.
> > ==== ILPIATT Mailing List ====

> > To contact the list Coordinator, Richard M. Howland.
> mailto:
> > ==============================
> > To join Ancestry.com and access our 1.2 billion online genealogy records,
> go to:
> > http://www.ancestry.com/rd/redir.asp?targetid=571&sourceid=1237
> ==== ILPIATT Mailing List ====
> To contact the list Coordinator, Richard M. Howland. mailto:
> ==============================
> To join Ancestry.com and access our 1.2 billion online genealogy records, go to:
> http://www.ancestry.com/rd/redir.asp?targetid=571&sourceid=1237